Sunday, September 20, 2009

MaZda WreCkAge!


Heres the story.. Saturday morning I was driving to the gym and was getting off the exit at 2000 east of I 215. I was turning left, off the exit. I had a green light right and was following a Cottonwood Heights police officer. As I proceeded through the intersection a guy on his phone!.. in a blue Subaru Baja came flying through and hit me going 45mph.


I had no time to react but when I saw him it was to late, He struck my door and and slid me into oncoming traffic. It was probably a good 200ft or so from where I was, luckily there were no vehicles waiting at the red light going northbound.


The first thing I remember is a officer opening the front passenger door and asking if I was ok, and if I could move. I said yes, and then he quickly undid my seat belt and told me to quickly get out of the car. My car was being sprayed with fire extinguishers.. but I didn't see any flames. The guy who hit me got out of his car and  said that I ran the red light! Pretty sure I didn't since I was right behind the police officer.. The officer asked for my license, insurance, registration.. and asked if I could call my husband. I couldn't find my phone, but a witness let me borrow his.



The ambulance arrived shortly after that and checked me out.  I felt ok, My head hurt and legs. I had an imprint on the outside of my leg from my speaker on my car door, A pretty good goose egg on the inside of my knee, and on the side of my head and a huge bruise.. (that I didn't even discover till I got home on the inside of the thigh on my right leg). Weird.. not sure what hit me there..  and it feels likeI have one on the backside of my left shoulder and those that know me know that I do not bruise easily..


Brent showed up after the emt's released me and the guy got the ticket for running a red light and driving on a suspended licsence. The sad thing is that he was on his way to his fathers funeral. So you know his head wasn't in the right place anyway. But since his license was suspended..he is not a great driver anyway I guess.. Anyway.. We got all my stuff out of the car and the tow truck came and took the mazda away. :( I'm really going to miss my car). We spent the next 5 hours on the phone with insurance companies making claims, etc.. Went and picked up a rental car, Which is a Toyota Yaris.. Seriously.. the smallest car ever.. ok not as small as a smart car but its TINY!! Oh well, we don't have to pay for it so I should n't complain.
Today my head is pounding today and I can't explain anything.. so if this post is all over the place.. you'll know why.... But considering what my car looks like I feel pretty dang lucky to WALK away with just a few bumps and bruises! The police officer said that I could've been smashed with the speed the guy was traveling. My side air bags and the air bag on my seatbelt deployed. Pretty sure those saved my life.   I now realize how important the saftey features of vehicles are. 

Not only the saftey features of the vehicles protected me but I know I was definantley blessed by Heavenly Father to still be alive. I don't know if any of you have ever been in a crazy, life threatning situation but everything happened so fast but as it was happening every thought went through my mind. My family, my mom, Brent, Car, Me. My future. Its so crazy the feeling I had after I was hit, When the police officer asked if I was ok I had a comforting feeling that I was, I could move my legs, arms and neck. This whole experience made me realize how precious life is. There are always those what if"s but what is, is what happened and I just have to be thankful that Im still alive and not seriously injured. Thank you all for your concern and support! I really am doing good, and feel thankful for such great friends and family!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

So glad you're okay. That's so scary! Darling blog. :)

Stephanie said...

Candice this is Stephanie from Granger, I just happened to come across your blog and I am so glad that you are okay, what a frightening experience.

Alli said...

Wow, I am so glad you're ok. Car accidents like that are terrifying. I hope nothing else ends up hurting!

Chris and Em said...

oh my goodness, I'm glad you are okay. Scary!

jones family said...

oh that just makes me sick to my stomach i hate car accidents! i am glad you are okay, but sad about your cute little car.

***Julia C. Greenfield Vanikiotis*** said...

Holy craziness! Stinks about the car but Im glad your alright!

Bridget said...

i am so glad you are okay.... scary. i love how we hung out that night and you were all smiles and fine! i would be so shaken up. it looks way worse than what i thought

Casper said...

Candice, I have been in two car accidents each time totaling my car and i managed to walk away with only sprained wrists. The first one was the monday before high school graduation and i had to wear a cast. the second was a month and a year from the first one that one my wrist went through the windsheild and i couldn't feel half myhand blood was everywhere. I still have glass coming out of my hand from it. Angels watch us girl. I drive very watchful now especially with our two little ones. It doesnt matter how safe you are people can have dumb moments and you should never have to pay with your safety for that. i saw a semi almost hit a little car the other day, full story is in my blog, and they walked away. Angels watch us. I believe that with all my heart. I'm glad your ok. hope everything works out ok. much love

Brittany said...

Holy crap! Candice! I just saw you on Sunday. I had no idea you had been in an accident. I'm so glad you're ok. How scary.

tHe sMiTh SaGa said...

Holy Crap Girl! That's so scary! I'm so glad that you are Okay and that Officer was there to help you right away!

Whitney Nelson said...

Candice...this made me cry! I am so glad you're ok. And I'm glad I came across that post! It even made ME realize that life is precious and to never take anything for granted...ever! Love you!