Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Home From ETHIOPIA!!


This little boy was seriously squatting on the sidewalk, taking a dump! The best part of the show was that the mom wiped his bum with her bare hand, flicked the nugget and picked him up and threw him on her back and walked away.. Trials of being a mom in Dera..


The people of Dera, was going on 15 days without water. They work for their water and hike to water pumps with large cans (jerry cans) and wait in line for the water to come.. It was amazing to see these people and the struggles they go through everyday.
The women and children of Dera would carry heavy loads on their back for miles to try and sell it at the local market.
Courtney, Alisha and I outside our room with the view of Nazeret behind us.
We were able to go to church in Nazaret. This is a picture of us with their Relief Society. There was only about 7 ladies. The church was a house that they rent. We even got to watch two baptisms after church!




This was an experience I will never forget!! It was absoluteley amazing!! There was so much poverty throughout the entire city. It made me so grateful for things I have in America! The things these people have to deal with everyday is just heartbreaking, but its just normal for them. People would sleep in the streets, Have no shoes, and ps.. there is no such thing as toilet paper there... so, I HAD to go to the bathroom and I had been sick all day so if you know what I mean.. it was an emergency.. so I asked where the bathroom was and the lady led me to this disgusting toilet and no T.P!! I asked her if she had any and she looked at me confused and left and came back with a small bucket of water.. What is that supposed to do.. oh yeah.. flush.. ew.. The children there were all so cute!! I loved them all! We took school supplies to a school and as we arrived all the children were chanting Thank you, Thank you!! The sight of all the children and there smiles brought tears to my eyes and at that moment I realized what we were making a difference in their lives.
We did dental work while we were there, when we arrived to the clinic aka.. cement shack.. there were over 100 people waiting for us. We worked all day for three days straight. With very little supplies and headlamps, a spit bucket and crazy rotten teeth, extracting over 400 teeth and seeing over 200 people. And every single one of them were so grateful to us for helping them, One lady had waited over 5 years for a dentist to come to the villiage.
By the end of the week, I was ready to come home! We were n't allowed to eat any fresh fruit or vegetables.. and if you know me.. you know what a health freak iam and thats all I ever eat.. I lived off granola bars, pasta and stale stale.. white bread.. ew.. Im so thankful to be home and back to my normal routine! and Not to mention hot water for the shower, my bed, and my toilet!! But everytime I use those things, I think of the people there.. I love Ethiopia and thankful for the experiences I had!

4 comments:

The Tapa Family said...

I'm glad you posted that, I've been dying to hear how your trip went! I missed you :)

Brittany said...

What an incredible experience. I don't think we realize how blessed we really are until we see how other people have to live.

Steph said...

That's SO amazing you got to do that. We went to Kenya last year and it was the coolest place ever! It's truly such a humbling experience, and makes you so grateful for what we have here!! That makes me want to go back even more than I already do, the African people are awesome!!

jake.shalise said...

That's so awesome you got to do this girl! You have an awesome office